Leinster Senior Cup semi-final

Dundalk FC beaten by St. Patrick's Athletic after extra-time in Leinster Senior Cup semi-final

St. Patrick's Athletic 1 Dundalk FC 0

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter



'Something's got to give,' according to Dundalk FC manager Stephen Kenny ahead of Derry City's visit

Dundalk FC manager Stephen Kenny. (Pic: Ciarán Culligan)

Leinster Senior Cup semi-final

St. Patrick's Athletic 1-0 Dundalk FC (AET)

Dundalk FC bowed out of the Leinster Senior Cup at the semi-final stage tonight after losing to St. Patrick's Athletic at Richmond Park.

Kevin Toner scored the game's only goal just before half-time in extra-time as Liam Buckley's team qualified for the decider against Shelbourne.

Dundalk had plenty of chances to prevail in 90 minutes having handed Dylan Hand, Mark Traynor and Nedas Maciulatisis their competitive debuts. The players had featured in friendly encounters earlier in the season, while Pablo Cavalcante, Karl Fitzsimons and Jake O'Connor were other youth players given a chance to impress.

The hosts upped their game after a disappointing first half and looked the likelier in the second period, drawing stops from Gabriel Sava on a few occasions. 

Patrick McEleney was a continual threat at the other end for the Lilywhites. He set-up substitute Maciulatisis, who was involved against Glentoran recently, who shot narrowly over.

Pat's started extra-time well and eventually made the breakthrough when centre-back Toner's effort finished in the corner of the net. Indeed, that proved to be the winner, preventing a rematch of last season's final between Dundalk and holders Shels.

St. Patrick's Athletic: Barry Murphy; Mick Leahy, Lee Desmond, Kevin Toner, Michael Barker; Graham Kelly (Darragh Markey), Ian Turner (Achille Campion); Jamie Lennon, Ryan Brennan, Dean Clarke; James Doona (Jake Keegan)

Subs not used: Brendan Clarke (gk), Conan Byrne, Simon Madden 

Dundalk FC: Gabriel Sava; Georgie Poynton (Jack O'Keeffe), Dylan Hand, Stephen Folan, Mark Traynor (Jordan McGuire); Karl Fitzsimons, Jake O'Connor; John Mountney, Patrick McEleney, Pablo Cavalcante (Nedas Maciulatisis); Georgie Kelly

Subs not used: Ross Treacy (gk), Lido Lotefa, Aaron McNally, David White

Referee: Alan Patchell (Dublin)