Dundalk Summer League

Mackin scores the only goal as Woodview beat Fane to claim the Clancy Cup

Woodview Celtic 1 Fane FC 0

Sports Reporter


Sports Reporter



Mackin scores the only goal as Woodview beat Fane to claim the Clancy Cup

Woodview captain Stephen Grimes receives the Clancy Cup from Terry Kelly, nephew of the late Jimmy Clancy, and Robbie Rafferty of Dundalk Summer League. (Pic: Arthur Kinahan)

Clancy Cup final

Woodview Celtic 1-0 Fane FC

Robert Mackin scored the only goal as Woodview claimed the Jimmy Clancy Cup at Clancy Park on Saturday night.

The former Newry City man converted unopposed from left of goal nine minutes into the second half as Fane fell to a second successive defeat in the decider.

And to compound matters for Fane, they finished with 10 men as referee Brian Murphy, who was assisted by Tommy Little and Alan Whelan on the night, showed striker Seán Bailey a straight red card for violent conduct.

It was a well-contested, close affair throughout, one which kept the large crowd in attendance entertained until the finish.

The opening 20 minutes produced nothing in the way of clear-cut chances before Bailey was denied by some last ditch defending by Woodview. The same player then shot over with the target at his mercy.

Mackin almost broke the deadlock before half-time when capitalising on a mistake by Fane ‘keeper Kyle Murphy. However, he was unable to hit the target despite the gaping goal. Woodview continued to press before the break and Owen Armstrong should have put them in front, only to spurn a glorious opening. 

The second half opened with Woodview again on top as Gavin Gaffey forced Kyle Murphy into action.

But the breakthrough wasn’t long in coming as Mackin calmly knocked to the net having been picked out from the right hand side.

Armstrong was in the thick of the action and could have doubled the lead on several occasions, including during the match’s most exciting passage. Having saved the Woodview attacker's lob, 'keeper Murphy sent Fane away on the counter-attack, which resulted in Bailey rattling the ‘bar. However, within seconds, at the other end, Armstrong repeated the feat as the goal-frame shook.

A late Fane surge forced Pádraig Gorham into action, but, with no goal coming, frustration grew, especially in Bailey as they finished a man down.