08 Aug 2022

Dundalk's second half brilliance sees off Longford

Dundalk's second half brilliance sees off Longford

Greg Sloggett of Dundalk celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Four goals in ten second half minutes ensured Dundalk FC’s passage into the second round of the FAI Cup as they overcame Longford Town 4-0 at Oriel Park.

Stephen O’Donnell, serving a one-match suspension, would have been frustrated as he observed from the TV gantry in the first half, but a second half brace from Greg Sloggett, along with goals from Patrick Hoban and Joe Adams sealed Dundalk’s place in the draw.

Dundalk dominated throughout and created the first opening on three minutes, when Steven Bradley skipped past the challenge of a couple of Longford defenders before playing it into Sloggett, but he scuffed his attempt wide of Luke Dennison’s post.

Hoban thumped a header wide from Keith Ward’s left-field cross, and not long after that, the Dundalk captain again tried his luck, skiing an effort miles over the top.

Hoban again could have found the net when he fired narrowly off target after it dropped to him – a chance that arose following some good work by debutant Runar Hauge.

Having only joined The Lilywhites on a loan deal from Hibernian on Wednesday, Norwegian winger Hauge saw his speculative shot go straight into the arms of Dennison.

Indeed, perhaps the best chance of the first half came on 32 minutes through the lively Hauge, whose cross was diverted wide by Ward when it looked easier to hit the target.

Right before the half-time break, Ward floated a corner from the right which was headed on by Andy Boyle to the back post for Bradley, who then proceeded to head off the post.

Dundalk almost broke the deadlock seconds after the restart when Hoban’s cross from the right was flicked on by Ward at the near post, forcing Dennison into a good save.

Longford’s resistance was finally broken on 58 minutes when Joe Adams, from Bradley’s neat pass, forced Dennison to push straight into the path of Sloggett to make it 1-0.

The floodgates started to open after that, and Dundalk made it 2-0 on 61 minutes as Hoban blasted a header home after getting on the end of a good cross from Bradley.

Indeed, two minutes later, it was 3-0 thanks to substitute Adams, and he inside the area fired past Dennison, who did get a touch, but to no avail as Dundalk put the game to bed.

Man of the match Sloggett was credited with the assist for that goal, and he completed the rout on 68 minutes when he poked home from a Ryan O’Kane ball from the left.

Dundalk FC: Nathan Shepperd; Lewis Macari (John Mountney 70), Sam Bone, Andy Boyle, Darragh Leahy; Greg Sloggett (John Martin 70), Paul Doyle; Steven Bradley, Keith Ward (Joe Adams 54), Runar Hauge (Ryan O’Kane 54); Patrick Hoban (David McMillan 70)

Subs not used: Peter Cherrie (gk), Daniel Kelly, Robbie McCourt

Longford Town: Luke Dennison; Shane Elworthy, Mick McDonnell, Michael Barker, Dylan Barnett (Ben Lynch 75); Brandon McCann (Karl Chambers 56), Aaron Robinson (Matthew O’Brien 75), Dean McMenamy; Kian Corbally; Jordan Adeyemo (Darren Clarke 62), Sam Verdon (Adam Verdon 62)

Subs not used: Colm Cox (gk), Eric Molloy, Cristian Magerusan

Referee: Alan Patchell (Dublin)

Attendance: 1,576

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.