- Getting 'claimed' after school in either St Leonard's Garden or The Fairgreen - it involved fighting of some sort.
- Harp is a lifestyle choice; not just a drink.
- You go 'down to Newry', but 'up to Dublin' - for whatever reason.
- Liver and chips from The Roma - still not sure about this local delicacy, but it's a big hit.
- A walk down the Navvy Bank - just because it's nice.
- Going to Oriel Park on a Friday night (or any night it seems at the minute).
- The Blessing of the graves at Dowdallshill - we've all been that soldier.
- Heading out to the Rawk (Blackrock) on your bike during the summer
- A trip to Jonesborough in the lead up to Halloween - Black Cat bangers
spilling out of your arse pockets on the way home.
- Some clever clogs putting washing up liquid into the old fountain at The Square.
- 'Top Drawer' upstairs in the Old Shopping Centre - lots of wonderful goodies and gadgets.
- Heading to Carlingford on a Sunday afternoon with your parents and playing on the swings in the playground until home time.
- Everybody has a relative who worked in either: PJ Carroll's, Clarks, Keytronics, Harp or Ecco (or all of them).
- The 'Back of the Wall' is a magical place.
- Getting stopped at the army checkpoint on the way down to Newry back in the day.
- That first day in secondary school when the lads from the country arrived in and sounded bizarrely foreign.
- Pearse Park is the spiritual epicentre of the town.
- You always have a preferred taxi company - Sevens, Shevlins, Fives, Avenue, Rock etc...
- McEnteggarts will always be known as the Vinegar Man's.
- The Santa Claus in the Old Shopping Centre was simply terrifying.
- Is St Patrick's actually a cathedral?
- Is it The Hotel Imperial or the Imperial Hotel?
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.