The title for winning Louth’s junior championship is named after former county chairman Christy F Bellew. Christy served as chairman from 1925 to 1928 and after that posting he served as vice-chairman until 1931.
A member of the now defunct Larks Club in Drogheda, Bellew was first elected chairman following the stepping down of Seamus Flood, due to work commitments.
When it was first introduced, and until 1977, the cup was actually Louth’s second trophy as prior to ‘77 the winning of Christy Bellew meant automatic promotion to the senior championship. From the start of the 1978 season, the winners were then guaranteed promotion to the intermediate ranks instead.
The junior championship itslef had been first introduced in 1904, with Drogheda Tredaghs being the inaugral winners
Knockbridge club St Brides were the first ever winners of the trophy when they overcame Kilkerley Emmets. Last year’s winners, Hunterstown Rovers went on to contest a Leinster Junior championship final, but they narrowly lost out to TwoMileHouse of Kildare in the showpiece event.
CHAMPIONSHIP IN NUMBERS
Just nine clubs in the county can lay claim to have been holders of all three titles at some stage in their history: Young Irelands, Dundalk Gaels, Clan Na Gael, Roche Emmets, Oliver Plunketts, Mattock Rangers, Geraldines, Stabannon Parnells and St Josephs.