Rock drop more points

Cillian Mulligan of Dundalk beats Shamrock Rovers Craig Kinsella to the ball.
Rock Celtic’s recent wobble continued as the Seasiders lost ground on leaders Woodview Celtic by drawing 1-1 away to Trim Celtic on Easter Sunday.

Rock Celtic’s recent wobble continued as the Seasiders lost ground on leaders Woodview Celtic by drawing 1-1 away to Trim Celtic on Easter Sunday.

The visitors went close to scoring on the half hour mark when Kevin McArdle sent Paddy Quinn through one on one with the home keeper but the chance wasn’t taken as the big man shot narrowly wide.

Shane Reddish’s side were made to pay for their wastefulness when straight from the restart the home broke and their main striker Derek Donohue made it 1-0.

The second half was evenly balanced and the Seasiders drew level when Ciaran Clarke swung a great delivery into the Trim area and Ross Quigley rose highest to hammer a header to the back of net.

Both teams pushed on seeking the winner with the best opportunity falling to the visitors with two minutes left to play.

David Ward set up Paddy Quinn who saw his first time effort brilliantly saved and when the loose ball fell to Ward his follow up strike was hoofed off the line, denying the visitors what would have been a massive three points.

Rock finished the game with Paul Gore been harshly dismissed for a second yellow card in the final minute.

ROCK CELTIC: John Rogers, Conor McDonnell, Paddy Reilly, Sean Watters, Ciaran Clarke, Kevin McArdle (Chris Ward), David McGeough, Paul Gore, Ross Quigley (Derek Delany), Paddy Quinn, David Ward.

Woodview open up four point gap

Kentstown 0-5 Woodview Celtic

The destiny of the MDL Premier Division title is in the hands of current league leaders and reigning champions Woodview Celtic following a 5-0 hammering over Kentstown in Meath on Sunday morning.

Gavin McKeever’s side are now four points clear of second placed Rock Celtic who could only drew 1-1 away to Trim Celtic at the weekend.

The visitors opened the scoring on 20 minutes when John Smyth floated in a corner kick and from Ray McCann’s flick on Mickey O’Kane headed to the roof of the net.

Paudie Hearty then created an opening for Billy Smith who drilled a bullet shot from the edge of the area to make it 2-0.

The second-half was 15 minutes old when Paul McArdle picked out Smith with a lofted pass and when the striker delivered the ball to Hearty he made no mistake to make it 3-0.

The Dundalk side were well in control and it was no surprise when McCann picked out the head of Stephen Grimes and his deft header made it 4-0.

The final goal of the game saw O’Kane finish in style after Owen Armstrong carved open the Kentstown defence to play in substitute Alan McCartney and he in turn linked up with Billy Smith and O’Kane did the rest to complete the scoring.

WOODVIEW CELTIC: Padraig Gorham, Ray McCann, Chris Caulfield, Andrew Duffy, Owen Armstrong, Paul McArdle, Stephen Grimes (Alan McCartney), John Smyth (Anto Reilly), Paudie Hearty (Alan Larkin), Billy Smith.