Seatown top their group in Sweden

Seatown FC’s U18 team qualified for the last 64 out of 144 teams at the Gothia Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden last week.

Seatown FC’s U18 team qualified for the last 64 out of 144 teams at the Gothia Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden last week.

Seatown played four games in total and went out of the tournament when they were beaten on Thursday by professional side IF Elfsborg who qualified for the semi-final.

Seatown were in group nó 36 with Rotenburger SV from Germany, Storvreta IK from Sweden and Runar IL from Norway.

The first game on Monday ended in a 3-2 defeat to the Norwegian side but Seatown bounced back on Tuesday and Wednesday with two superb 2-0 victories to win the group.

Tremendous strike

In their opener against Runar IL ón Monday, Eimhin Caldwell put Seatown in front in the first half with a tremendous shot from outside the box but an unfortunate own goal by Dami Kusigbagbe levelled the sides early in the second half.

Brendan O’Carroll put Seatown back in front soon after but the Norwegian side scored twice in the last five minutes to win the game 3-2.

Seatown were in a much more determined mood on Tuesday and recorded a fine 2-0 over Rotenburger SV from Germany.

A goal 16 minutes into the first half by Brendan O’Carroll and 16 minutes into the second half by Darren Tuite gave Seatown all three points.

Seatown ‘keeper David McKenny produced two tremendous saves to deny the German side.

A win was needed on Wednesday to put Seatown on top of the group and that is exactly what they did with a 2-0 victory over group favourites Storvreta IK from Sweden.

Osadebe double

Two Michael Osadebe goals in the second half was enough to give Seatown all three points and win the group outright.

Seatown’s fourth and final game was on Thursday morning when they played a professional club IF Elfsborg from Sweden in the last 32 of the tournament.

This was a tremendous challenge for the Seatown players to compete against one of the best teams in Sweden and although Seatown were eventually beaten 4-1 the result was in doubt up to the final ten minutes of the game.


IF Elfsborg took the lead with a spectular overhead goal after only three minutes but Seatown were very committed and battled for every ball.

The Swedish side went 2-0 ahead early in the second half but Seatown’s top scorer in the tournament, Brendan O’Carroll, headed home Michael Osadebe’s free kick 13 minutes into the second half to stun the large home crowd.

Seatown then had their best spell in the game with Saheed Oyefeso, Liam McKenny and Opey Kusigbagbe going close with an equaliser but Elfsborg finally killed the game off with two late goals in the final ten minutes.

Seatown were disappointed with the 4-1 scoreline but they played their part in a very entertaining game and made IF Elfsborg work very hard to secure the win.