Rovers set up Avenue derby final

The big game in last week’s Tuborg sponsored Dundalk Pool League was the play-off between Avenue Inn Rovers and Castle Bar Traders for a place in the league final.

The big game in last week’s Tuborg sponsored Dundalk Pool League was the play-off between Avenue Inn Rovers and Castle Bar Traders for a place in the league final.

The first match featured snooker team-mates Aidan Kinsella of the Avenue Inn and Liam Johnston and it was Aidan who won the first frame with a tricky five ball clearance. Liam responded to level the scores with an excellent break and clearance to send the match into a decider.

The third frame was a tactical affair and eventually Aidan got the upper hand to clinch the victory and put the Avenue 1-0 ahead.

The second match took place between Declan Brady of the Avenue and Tiernan Mallon and in both frames Tiernan took advantage of mistakes by Declan to seal a 2-0 victory and thus level the match score at 1-1.

The third match featured the Avenue captain, Pat Brady, against David Magill and in a match where both players had chances it was Pat who made the most of his chances to complete a 2-0 victory to put the Avenue 2-1 ahead.

The pressure was now on the Traders going into the fourth match between Stephen McBride (Castle) and Stephen Gorham.

In a tactical first frame, it was Stephen who went one ahead thanks to a great clearance. In the next frame both players had chances and when Gorham got his chance he potted his last four reds to leave a long pot on the black in the corner pocket.

When he missed the pot, the Traders thought they had a chance but, to their dismay, the black rolled along the top cushion and into the opposite corner pocket.

This fluke completed a 2-0 victory for Stephen Gorham and a 3-1 victory for the Avenue and more importantly booked their place in the league final against Avenue Inn Eagles.

The only other match played this week was the Shield semi-final and it was an Avenue Inn derby game between United and Swifts. The first match featured Ciaran Sullivan (United) and Andy Gray and in a close encounter it was Andy who eventually won 2-1.

The United team captain Jonathan Smith responded to level the match when he defeated an out of sorts Glen Duffy 2-1.

The third match was a battle of the Gorham brothers, Shane and Keith (Swifts). Keith showed who the boss was when he capitalised on his brother’s mistakes to compete a 2-0 victory and, more importantly, put his team 2-1 ahead.

With the pressure now on, United’s Carl Sullivan held his nerve to defeat Brian O’Gorman 2-0 to send the match into a decider.

The decider featured Ciaran McGuinness and the Swifts captain Jason McConville and with some attacking pool it was Jason who went 1-0 ahead.

In the next frame, it was Ciaran who was always in control and he had no problem in levelling the match. Jason held his nerve in the last frame to calmly pot his last four yellows and then a long black into the corner to complete a 2-1 victory for himself and a 3-2 victory for his team. In the final they will play either Windmill Red or Harrison’s Blue.

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.