A 25 year old man who was prosecuted for harassing his ex girlfriend and her mother over a three month period, is deeply sorry for his actions, Dundalk district court was told last week.
Conor Mulligan of Drive Two, Muirhevnamor was charged with two separate counts of harassing the women on various dates between March and May 2020 and with making a threat to cause criminal damage.
The court heard last Wednesday that the defendant had harassed his ex and her mother following the break-up of his relationship, in February last year.
On April 16th 2020, he had sent a message on Facebook telling his ex partner’s mum “You’ll be hearing something coming through your window”. He later told gardai he meant putting his foot through the front door of the house.
The defendant had no previous convictions and his barrister outlined how he works in a restaurant in the Ardee area.
He added at the time his client was having anxiety and mental health issues but he has finished a six week course at the Ladywell Clinic and has a monthly check-in with his counsellor.
The barrister stressed that Mr. Mulligan is deeply sorry for his actions and he feels he has turned a corner and is back on track.
Judge Cephas Power imposed a four month sentence for one of the harassment charges, which he suspended for two years on the defendant entering a bond to be of good behaviour during that period.
He also made it a condition that the defendant has no contact with the family.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.