A local man last week applied to the local district court to have his bail terms amended, so a curfew could be lifted for him to film Dundalk FC matches for the club.
Harry Taaffe with an address at O’Hanlon Park, Dundalk told the court the team are playing Sligo Rovers next Tuesday and he would be unable to get back in time, to keep the curfew.
The 51 year old is charged with causing criminal damage to the windows of a house and to a car at the same property in Dundalk on January 13 in which it’s alleged the damage amounts to €3,000.
He is further accused of assaulting a man and using threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour at the Market Square, Dundalk on February 5th.
As part of bail terms that were previously imposed, he was told to observe a curfew from 11pm to 7am and to sign on once a week at Dundalk garda station.
Last Wednesday, Harry Taaffe explained that he was applying to vary the bail terms as he films Dundalk Football Club games for video analysis and it could be 2am by the time he’d get back from a game in Sligo next Tuesday.
Insp. Martin Beggy said it is not just football matches that the accused videos and added the 51 year old is also involved in a citizens patrol at night and uploads them onto a Facebook page.
The applicant confirmed that they use walkie-talkies and wear fluorescent jackets and when it was put to him that was why the curfew had been sought, he replied “I have never done anything untoward to bring on a curfew”
The Defence solicitor said the Gardai had consented to bail - but wanted a curfew and he argued that the logic was to restrain his client from engaging in “a perfectly lawful community initiative”.
Insp. Beggy said they would require evidence that the club had engaged Mr. Taaffe to perform the function as described - and that he does not simply do so as a past-time.
Judge Flann Brenan adjourned the matter to Drogheda district court today Friday so this could be produce and later he told Insp. Beggy that he had considered the matter further and suggested that a list of the away-matches also be produced.
When the application was called, Judge Brennan was asked by the Defence to put it back to Dundalk district court this Wednesday.