Annagassan and District Historical Society held their Lurganboy to Parsonstown History Walk on Sunday 28 July.
It was there first walk of 2013, which covered about 2.8 miles, and visited the Lurganboy, Cruisetown and Parsonstown areas. They set off from Lurganboy heading south on the Coast Road towards Clogherhead. Among the items discussed were the Sunshine Home, the 1950s flooding that led to the collapse of the Skininorn Bridge and P.F. Collier who was involved in the Boer War. They then proceeded along the old trackway that leads to Cruisetown farm. There has been a corn mill at Cruisetown for over 300 years, which was formally referred to as ‘The Great Mill of Clogher’. They discussed Packie Hoey, who was from this area and the story of his death during the Easter Rising 1916. They then went to Parsonstown House to view its fine standing stone. To end, they walk to the nearby medieval church of St Mary’s Parsonstown. This is one of the best-preserved medieval churches in Louth and was gifted by Osbert Butterly to the Welsh Priory of Llanthony in the 13th century.
The society walks have proved highly popular