Search

30 Sept 2022

€2.24 million announced for Housing Adaptation Grants in Louth

Housing Adaptation Grants for older people and people with a disability living in Louth

€2.24 million announced for Housing Adaptation Grants in Louth

€2.24 million announced for Housing Adaptation Grants in Louth

Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien TD and Minister of State for Local Government and Planning, Peter Burke TD, have today announced €2.24 million in funding for Housing Adaptation Grants for older people and people with a disability living in Louth. The allocation is an increase of €357,989 on 2021 and continues the year-on-year increases in the grant since 2014. 

Grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist disabled people in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs. Additionally, grants of up to €8,000 are available to assist older people to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out on their homes and grants of up to €6,000 are available for mobility aids.   

Commenting today Minister O’Brien said:

“I am delighted to be in a position to allocate increased funding to Louth County Council so that they can continue to support older people and disabled people to live independently in Louth. Importantly, home adaptations help reduce the dependency on our health services by supporting independent living for as long as possible and in other instances facilitate an early return from hospital, taking pressure off already over-burdened services.  

“These grants will also provide a boost to Louth’s economy, creating employment opportunities for local contractors.” 

Minister Burke added:

“I am pleased that funding for Louth County Council to administer this scheme has been increasing year-on-year since 2014. This shows the importance that is attached to the scheme and the Government’s commitment to older people and disabled people. These grants have a huge impact on the quality of life of the many beneficiaries in Louth and play a vitally important role in helping disabled people and people who are reaching an age in life when they are less mobile, to continue to live independently in their own homes.

“As Minister of State with responsibility for housing for older people and disabled people, I am fully committed to assisting individuals in Louth to stay in their own homes and within their own communities for as long as   possible and these allocations today will facilitate this goal for many”. 

The fund announced today, which supports home adaptations for older people, disabled people and those with mobility issues, provides 80% Exchequer funding through the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, with the remaining 20% in funding coming from Louth County Council.

In January, the Government published a new National Strategy for Disabled People 2022-27. The Strategy sets out how the Government will put in place the frameworks to ensure that the housing and support needs of disabled people are comprehensively addressed. The Housing Agency is preparing a detailed implementation plan for the Strategy. 

Publication of the strategy was a commitment under Housing for All, the Government’s national plan on housing to 2030. The plan contains a range of actions and measures to ensure over 300,000 homes are built by 2030, backed by over €20 billion in guaranteed State investment to the end of 2026, so that that high-quality, affordable housing is accessible for all. Data indicates that the construction of over 33,000 homes commenced in 2021, the highest rolling 12-month total since comparable data were first published.

Housing for All commits to a review of the range of grants available to assist with meeting specific housing needs, including the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability, and to implementing relevant changes. The aim is to ensure the grants remain fit for purpose and meet the housing needs of the people availing of them.    

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login
Coláiste Chú Chulainn student awards

Chisomaga Anyanwu senior Cu Chulainn Award winner, Principal Thomas Sharkey, Imelda Munster TD, Pawel Skalinski Junior Cu Chulainn award winner, Senator John McGahon, Peter Fitzpatrick TD.

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.