What part of Dundalk was once known as The Isle of Wight?
It was an area between Dublin Street and the Rampart Stream, roughly where the Thomas Street houses were built in 1922.
It got this name because the area was liable to flood, and for this reason the Urban Council installed a ram pump beside the metal footbridge over the Greenore railway line.
This part of Town was originally just outside the extension the walls known as The 'Upper End'.
It belonged to the Roden Estate but was transferred to the Council in the early part of the last century because the drainage of the area had become too expensive for the owners.
Where was the J.J. Haslett wholesale grocery warehouse?
This Northern Ireland based wholesale grocery that served over 200 outlets in the North-East since the nineteenth century was based in the long, two storey building that was once part of the Distillery complex along the Rampart River.
The grocery business, originally based in Lisburn, had served over 200 small outlets throughout the North-East from its Dundalk warehouse for over half a century until about 60 years ago when the building was taken over by the 'Little Chic' children's garment manufacturing business.
The structure was demolished in 2004 to make way for the flats complex facing on to the Rampart, behind the Distillery Lane houses.
The old building was unusual in the it had a wooden veranda at the front, reached by stairs, which had the Haslett company name painted on a board along the front.
Which Dundalk church had a spire replaced by a tower?
The St. Nicholas Roman Catholic 'Chapel of Ease' for St. Patrick's Parish, at Bridge Street, was built in 1859 with a limestone spire but this was declared 'unsafe' at the beginning of the last century and was replace in 1906 by the present tower, along with other renovations to the church, carried out by John McGuinness, a local builder who had a yard nearby.
Which Dundalk church was moved sideways?
The present St. Malachy's Dominican Church at the junction of Anne Street with the Crescent was was built in 1866 to replace the old St. Malachy's which stood on the site of the present red-brick monastery building at St. Dominic's Place.
The old church was built just after Catholic Emancipation in 1829 and opened for worship in 1830.
The new church was know by local people as 'The Church Without a Steeple' because it was believed that the original design included a spire which was not constructed to avoid taxes.
QUESTIONS for next week
Who was the last British Monarch to officially visit Dundalk?
Which Dundalk street was known as 'Chapel Lane' until a century ago?
Where was 'Shop Street' in medieval Dundalk?
Where was the Sunburst Mills' in Dundalk?
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.