At 4.23pm today Gardaí in Drogheda responded to a call of shots being fired in the Hardmans Gardens area of Drogheda. On arrival Gardaí discovered a male in his 30’s had been shot a number of times in the leg and shoulder. This male is currently in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda in a serious but stable condition.
The attackers were travelling in a red Volkswagon Golf Car, bearing false registration plates 191D31786. This car was found burnt out in the Sheephouse area on the Rathmullen Road, Drogheda. It is believed that two males ran from this car when it was abandoned.
Superintendent Andrew Watters, Drogheda Garda Station is making the following appeal for witnesses to contact Gardaí at Drogheda Garda station 041 9874200, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.
- Any person in the Hardmans area of Drogheda today, before 4.23pm, who saw anything unusual in the area or persons/vehicles which drew their attention.
- Any person who saw a red Volkswagon Golf car, bearing registration plate 191D31786 or any red Volkswagon Golf in the Drogheda area today.
- Any drivers in the Drogheda area today with dashcam footage, particularly those who may have been in the vicinity of Hardmans Gardens, Lady of Lourdes Church and Rathmullen Road areas between 4pm and 5pm.
- Any person with any information on this attack.
- In particular, An Garda Síochána is appealing to the drivers of a dark navy coloured taxi and a rigid lorry with a white cab (advertising Tipperary Water) which were stopped directly behind the attackers red Volkswagon golf to come forward.
Superintendent Andrew Watters has described this indiscriminate attack in broad day light, where a firearm was discharged, endangering members of the public and children, as callous and reckless. An Garda Síochána are aware that a number of other persons in the area very narrowly avoided being shot and seriously injured in the attack.
Superintendent Watters continues to assure the community in Drogheda that An Garda Síochána is making every effort to identify the culprits involved in this irresponsible attack and is appealing to the community in Drogheda and the wider community to come forward with any information which will assist An Garda Síochána in finding the perpetrators.