Animal Welfare

Dundalk dog owners urged to be cautious this Easter

Dogs Trust

Nicola Finnegan Duffy

Reporter:

Nicola Finnegan Duffy

Email:

editor@dundalkdemocrat.ie

Dundalk dog owners urged to be cautious this Easter

Dundalk dog owners urged to be cautious this Easter

While children in Dundalk are getting ready for the arrival of the Easter bunny this Sunday, it’s important not to forget about our furry friends, specifically our dogs.

It is an extremely dangerous time of year for dogs as families often have a lot of chocolate lying around the house, especially at this time of year. If consumed, chocolate can be extremely toxic to dogs and can often lead to them becoming extremely ill, or leading to an untimely death.

Veterinary Surgeon with Dogs Trust Desré Daly states that it is the substance known as theobromine that is found in chocolate that makes it so toxic for our dogs.

“When a dog eats chocolate, the theobromine metabolizes more slowly than it does in humans. Theobromine interferes with the normal functioning of the central nervous system, heart and kidneys. Without appropriate and timely treatment, this could lead to death.”

The trust also goes on to say that if your dog does accidentally eat some chocolate over the Easter period (Or any time, really) you should contact your vet immediately with information such as how much chocolate your dog ate, the brand and how long ago your dog ate it. Even if your dog seems perfectly fine after eating chocolate, it is vital that you take your dog to the vet so that they can determine how the dog is doing, the sooner the better!

The final piece of advice from the Trust is to ensure that you and your children stick to dog friendly treats this Easter, which are kinder for your dog, and it’s also important to keep your local vet’s emergency number on hand, just in case you need it.