Fianna Fáil Cllr Conor Keelan has described it as “extremely disappointing” that Bridge Street will not be included in urban regeneration plans for Dundalk town centre.
His comments came following the announcement last Monday (November 26) that €533,000 of funding had been secured for the regeneration of the Long Walk Quarter.
Last January Louth County Council received €4.4 million in funding for the regeneration of Clanbrassil Street and the Bridge Street/St Nicholas Quarter in Dundalk.
Whilst Bridge Street was included in the original plans, they will not be included in the works which are due to commence in January 2019 as a further €3.5 million of funding is needed.
Cllr Conor Keelan said: “I must welcome the fact that we have secured funding today for the Long Walk Quarter which was one of our submissions to the Urban Regeneration & Development Fund. This has the potential to be transformative.
“It is, however, extremely disappointing that we did not secure any funds for Bridge Street to continue the St. Nicholas Quarter Regeneration Scheme all the way to the Castletown River.
"As everyone knows Bridge Street and Linenhall Street never benefitted from Urban Renewal in the past or other significant funding. We must keep up the pressure to ensure that alternate sources of funding can be tapped into.”
Joanne Lavelle of the St. Nicholas Quarter traders group said that they are remaining optimistic that a resolution can be reached.
She said: “We’re certainly looking to get more money for Bridge Street and we’re still working with the chief executive of Louth County Council and we know that she is committed to getting Bridge Street finished. We’re remaining optimistic.
“Bridge Street looks bad now, but imagine how bad it’s going to look in comparison to Clanbrassil Street and other areas of town once they are done up. There is a huge peripheral community that relies on Bridge Street. We cannot be left behind again.”