An Táin Theatre will host an event as part of Seachtain na Gaelige
Seachtain na Gaeilge 2018 runs from Thursday March 1st to Saturday March 17th this year - and Louth County Council with celebrate with a series of cultural and sporting events to interest all ages.
A series of events have already been announced including a general knowledge 'as Gaelige' quiz aimed at primary school children to be held in Dundalk Library on Wednesday March 7th (with cinema tickets up for grabs!) and two screenings of an Irish language film an An Táin Theatre.
They will take place on Monday March 12th and Thursday March 15th.
“Seachtain na Gaeilge is always an important fixture in the Council’s event calendar and gives us the opportunity to work with and support local groups whose mission it is to promote the Irish language and culture," Louth County Council Chief Executive Joan Martin said.
"Our varied programme this year covers everything from language, to sport, to music.
"Of course, this year’s event also acts as a precursor to Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, which will be held in Drogheda in August. This will be a huge occasion for the county, and one we’ve been working towards for many years. We hope the Seachtain na Gaeilge events will whet the appetite for Fleadh audiences in the summer.”
The events that have already been announced are:
- 'As Gaelige' Primary School Quiz (Dundalk Library, Wednesday March 7th 10.30am).
- GAA Under 10 Hurling Blitz: Teams, all of whom will be encouraged to speak Irish on the field, will compete for the Corn an Cathaoirleach Cup (Louth County Council Sports Centre, Muirhevnamor, Saturday, March 10th (12pm to 3pm).
- Under 10 Primary School Poetry Competition: Children under 10 are invited to write a poem with the theme of ‘My County’ – ‘Mo Chontae’. The winning entries will be displayed in County Hall Dundalk and printed in local newspapers. The deadline for submissions is Friday March 16th.
- Lunchtime traditional music session: Tea and coffee will be served at this cultural celebration (Dundalk Town Hall, Date to be confirmed).
- Irish Language Film: An Táin Theatre will host two screenings of an Irish language film for local primary school children (An Táin Theatre Dundalk, Monday, March 12th and Thursday, March 15th).