Maguire late goal ends Dundalk's hopes of a double double


FAI Cup final 2016

Dundalk's Daryl Horgan and Greg Bolger of Cork City tussle for possession. Picture: Ciaran Culligan

Dundalk’s hopes of winning a double double were ended in cruel fashion at The Aviva Stadium on Sunday as Sean Maguire’s last gasp winner sent the FAI Cup back to Cork for the first time since 2007.

The League of Ireland’s two heavyweights from the past couple of seasons went toe-to-toe for 120 minutes but neither could make the breakthrough and it looked like penalty kicks would determine the outcome.

However, Maguire pounced on a Steven Beattie throw-in to divert a left footed effort towards the target with a deflection off Brian Gartland leaving Gary Rogers completely helpless to stop the ball from trickling into the net, sparking pandemonium amongst the City support, substitutes and staff.

Maguire’s goal came just three minutes after Ronan Finn went within a whisker of winning the cup for Dundalk, the man of the match almost capping a sensational display with the winning goal.

DUNDALK FC: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey; Chris Shields (John Mountney 55), Stephen O’Donnell; Patrick McEleney (Dean Shiels 77), Ronan Finn, Daryl Horgan; David McMillan (Ciaran Kilduff 79). Subs not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Paddy Barrett, Ciaran O’Connor, Alan Keane.

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Steven Beattie, Alan Bennett, Kenny Browne, Kevin O’Connor; Greg Bolger (Mark O’Sullivan 96), Gearoid Morrissey (Colin Healy 100); Karl Sheppard (Chiedozie Ogbene 78), Garry Buckley, Stephen Dooley; Sean Maguire. Subs not used: Matthew Connor (GK), Gavan Holohan, Michael McSweeney, Ian Turner.

REFEREE: Rob Rogers.

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.