A man who denies being a burglar in CCTV footage that was shown to Dundalk District Court, will have to wait until next week to see if the charge is dismissed.
Christopher Traynor with an address Pinewood Grove, Bay Estate, Dundalk claims that he was at home with his girlfriend, when the break-in occurred around 3.20am on December 2nd last.
The owner of W. Lawless Barbers and Candy Store on Park Street, Dundalk told the court last Wednesday that she opened up that morning to find that the premises had been burgled.
She discovered that €1,000 in cash in €50 euro notes was stolen, along with €50 in coins and 40 Zippo cigarette lighters, which the court later heard were worth over €1,200. CCTV footage was shown to the court, in which a man wearing a hoodie and a high-viz vest, could be seen breaking glass in an internal door that separated the barbers from the sweetshop.
He climbed through the door and went behind the counter, where he emptied the till before removing the lighters from the shop window. A detective gave evidence of viewing the footage and being 110 per cent satisfied it was Christopher Traynor.
The Defence applied to have the case struck out, over an alleged break in the chain of evidence, in relation to who had downloaded the CCTV footage onto a USB key.
Judge Flann Brennan found against him.
The court heard how an Abercrombie and Fitch hoodie and a high viz vest were found during a search of the defendant's home along with an aerosol can for filling lighters with gas, and 350 euro in seven 50 euro notes.
Mr. Traynor's girlfriend gave evidence that he was at home with her that night, while his sister told the court she had bought the hoodie in New York and pointed out its’ logo is on the side, while she said the one in the footage, had a logo on the right arm.
The defendant said he had nothing to do with the burglary, the cash recovered was part of back-dated fuel allowance and he said the hoodie found did not fit him right. He also said he had denied involvement after his arrest, had suggested who he thought the burglary was to gardaí and would have taken part in an identity parade if asked. Judge Brennan said he was reserving his decision and adjourned the case until the sixth of July.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.