28 Jan 2022

Civil Defence has no plans to take part in centenary parade

2016-1916 centenary celebrations

Civil Defence has no plans to take part in centenary parade

Louth Civil Defence will not be represented at the Easter Rising centenary parade in Dublin this Easter Sunday.

All sections of the army, fire and ambulances services will represented at the historical event, but reports are that no one from Louth Civil Defence will be taking part in the once in a lifetime event.

The parade will include Army, Navy, Aer Corps, UN Veterans, Gardai, and even an Aer Corp, but Louth Civil - due to an apparent lack of interest - are, as it stands, not set to take part.

The Local Authority is responsible for delivering Civil Defence services at a local level through the Civil Defence Officer, a full time employee of the authority. This process is facilitated by each Local Authority through the provision of office premises, other facilities and equipment.

The Department of Defence contributes 70 per cent of approved non-capital expenditure and the Local Authority funds the remaining 30 per cent.

Members join a national Civil Defence organisation but they serve in their local community. The Democrat contacted Civil Defence Officer Chris Connelly who said he had “no comment” to make on the matter and that he has forwarded our request for a statement to the county council.

The Democrat also spoke to a member of the Louth Civil Defence who told the paper: “We are the only county in the country who will not have members on the parade.

“It is very disappointing for the members some with over 50 years service and others with a few years membership.

“But now because no one has a interest we will all miss out on the life time event.”

The parade will be viewed by thousands as it passes through Dame Street, Westmoreland Street and O’Connell Street Dublin and of course will be televised.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.