Three years for stabbing sister with kitchen knife


Three years for stabbing sister with kitchen knife

A man was sentenced to a total of three years at Dundalk Circuit Court last week for stabbing his sister when she tried to disarm him after he attacked her boyfriend with a kitchen knife.

Paul Jackson (23) with an address at Mill Road, Dundalk pleaded guilty to two counts of assault causing harm arising out of the incident on the 24th of May 2014.

The court heard all parties had attended a First Communion celebration and while Paul Jackson’s sister Monique Cooney and her then boyfriend Daniel Reynolds had gone to a pub afterwards, the accused wasn’t allowed go with them, as he was drunk.

When the couple returned to the family home, they had a verbal argument and both men had a disagreement over how Mr. Reynolds had been speaking to his girlfriend.

Paul Jackson got a large knife from the kitchen and an altercation followed out on the road.

Daniel Reynolds told gardai he’d thrown a punch at Paul Jackson in self-defence as he was swinging the knife.

Mr. Reynolds was caught on the neck, and was then stabbed in his back – in his left shoulder blade. A chest drain was inserted in hospital and he was treated for a partially collapsed -lung.

Monique Cooney received lacerations to her hands, when she tried to disarm her brother.

Garda carried out a search of the nearby grounds of Dundalk Rugby Club and Paul Jackson was spotted when he ran towards his mother, as she arrived on the scene.

In their victim impact statements the couple said they thought they were going to be killed. Monique Cooney said her brother’s actions had ripped her family apart and he had never made any effort to stop drinking or taking drugs.

Mr. Reynolds said he thought his children would be left without a father and it upsets him that the accused – who he treated like a brother, doesn’t care about what he did.

The Defence barrister said his client was intellectually talented but had little formal education and the Probation which placed him at high risk of reoffending “Doesn’t offer great support to a plea of mitigation’ .

Judge Michael O’Shea sentenced Paul Jackson to concurrent sentences of two years each for assault causing harm on his sister and producing a knife in the course of a dispute, and three years for assault causing harm on Daniel Reynolds.

Those sentences were consecutive to a sentence imposed on Paul Jackson for his involvement in a stand-off between rival football supporters at Clarke Railway Station.

The 23 year old pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder arising out of the incident, on July 12th 2013.

The court heard the events unfolded after Dublin team Bohemians played Dundalk Football Club at Oriel Park.

The away fans had been kept back in the grounds, until the Dundalk supporters dispersed but rival factions had gone into the railway station car park and all those present were fighting when gardai arrived.

One man was unconscious on the ground, bottles were being thrown and gardai on foot along with the garda dog and mounted units, formed a divide between the two groups of supporters

The court was told Paul Jackson was acting extremely aggressively and making threats.

Two men previously sentenced by the court for violent disorder, arising out the same series of events had been given 18 month suspended sentences, but the court heard they did not have the same criminal record as Paul Jackson who had 65 previous convictions.

The Probation report had assessed him as being at high risk of reoffending.

Judge Michael O'Shea imposed an 18 month sentence for the violent disorder but suspended the final 12 months.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.