01 Dec 2021

Pat’s into semi finals

Pat’s into semi finals
Playing at home on a relatively calm evening, St Patrick’s made short work of their town rivals in this Sheelan Cup quarter final.

Playing at home on a relatively calm evening, St Patrick’s made short work of their town rivals in this Sheelan Cup quarter final.

A penalty from the in-form Karl White in the second half confirmed the win for the Lordship side.

The first half saw St Pat’s take the game to Gaels and with long term absentee Ray Finnegan back in the starting fifteen they crusied to a four point lead by half time.

The second half was a foregone conclusion following White’s converted penalty. Of particular note for Fergal Reel will be the spread of scores around the team, with eight players accounting for the final 1-12 haul

ST PATRICKS: Sean Connor, Jamie O’Hare, Eamonn Breen, Aidan Ryan; Thomas McCann, Colin Goss, Alan O’Connor (0-1), Paudie Mallon (0-1), Martin Breen (0-1), Evan White (0-1), Karl White (1-3), Aidan McCann (0-2), Ray Finnegan (0-1), Danny O’Connor (0-2), Colin McCann. Subs: , Kevin White for T McCann, Kevin Toner for A Ryan, Shane Hynes for C McCann, Stephen Toner for A McCann, Eoghan Lafftery for R Finnegan.

McDonnell on form for Mairtins

Naomh Mairtin..........2-12


The Monasterboice men surged into the semi finals fo the Sheelan Cup thanks to a professional and industrious performance against a strong Hunterstown Rovers team on Sunday afternoon.

Hunterstown started the game really well and the Mairtins never got going in the first 20 minutes.

Mairtins gave away some silly frees and Hunterstown deservedly raced into seven point lead before the Monasterboice men started playing.

The visitors did finish the half stronger and got back to within one point as the half time whistle blew.

The Mairtins continued to play well at the start of the second half and scored two goals which changed the complexion of the clash entirely.

The first green flag was a penalty from corner back Eamon McQuillian and a well worked goal from Nicky McDonnell saw the flag shoot up again.

That put the Mairtins into an unassailable seven point lead.

To be fair to Hunterstown Rovers they never gave up and got it back to three points when referee Kenneth Dunne called time on this quarter final.

An interesting statistic was the fact that Naomh Mairtins conceded eleven frees in the game which, remarkably, Hunterstown scored from.

Best for the Mairtins were Brian McQuillian,Nicky McDonnell,Luke Harrington.

Naomh Mairtins: Jamie Mulholland; Eoin Wright, Patrick Sullivan, Eamon McQuillian (1-0); Luke Harrington, Karl Courtney, Benny Reilly, Gavin Mooney, Brain Howell, Wayne Campbell (0-1), Brian McQuillian; Kenny Lambe; Francis McCullough (0-3); Nicky McDonnell (1-0); Brian Berrill (0-3). Subs: Gareth Lambe for Kenny Lambe, Conor Smyth for Benny Reilly, Stephen Campbell for Francis McCullough, Jamie Byrne for Patrick Sullivan, Shane Whelan for Conor Smyth.
Referee: Kenneth Dunne.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.