Return to form for O’Brien and Glyde

Glyde Rangers showed that the Championship is a different animal as they shook off their horrendous league form to upset Kilkerley Emmets on Friday night in Haggardstown.

Glyde Rangers showed that the Championship is a different animal as they shook off their horrendous league form to upset Kilkerley Emmets on Friday night in Haggardstown.

Coming into the game, even Glyde’s faithful may have been preparing themselves for another miserable Championship year, but a complete turnaround in fortunes was 60 minutes away as their team tore apart Kilkerley’s full back line to clinch a precious two points.

An inspired Trevor O’Brien was the catalyst for Glyde, but in truth the work done by Peter Shields, Gerard Sheridan and Barry Brennan up top was the main reason why Kilkerley did not get something out of this game as the top trio roasted Kilkerley’s back line.

A 23 minutes spell in the second half really killed off the chances of Kilkerley and despite a late rally, they could not pull off the great escape and now find themselves under pressure to perform when they come up against Naomh Mairtin in the last group game.

From the start

Fiachra Sheridan got the scoring underway for Glyde with a point after five minutes as both teams felt each other out with some jostling for position.

Glyde then spurred a host of chances, allowing Kilkerley to level when Lennon tagged a free after he was dragged to the floor.

O’Brien then seized the moment when he hit two points in quick succession, one from open play and one from a free.

Twenty minutes in, Kilkerley thought they had turned a corner when Lennon managed to hit three points in a row without reply, but following this, they were left exposed at the back when Barry Brennan managed to turn the ball past Cillian Quigley.

Gerard Sheridan directed the ball to Peter Shields right in front of goal. Sheilds spotted Brennan in a better position to score and forced a pass to the corner forward. As the ball fell behind him, Brennan still managed to stab it past Quigley for Glyde’s first goal.

Bit of luck

Kilkerley tried to respond instantly but Niall Lennon was unlucky to see his effort come off the post. At the other end, Glyde extended their lead as O’Brien fired over a long range effort, but before half time came, Kilkerley closed the gap.

A surging run from Cathal Bellew ended with a fine score from Brennan before Bellew chupped in with a quality point of his own. Lennon finished the scoring from a free to leave it all square at the break, 1-4 to 0-7.

Glyde looked down and out ten minutes into the second half as the Emmets managed to carve out a lead, as points from Shaun McElroy, Lennon, James Fagan and Niall Lennon put them four points ahead, the pick of the bunch coming from Fagan who put the ball over the black spot after a simple move.

But for all their effort going forward, Kilkerley were let down at the back as their defending left a lot to be desired.

Peter Shields strike on goal on 45 minutes undid all of Kilkerley’s hard work upfront as Shields, the opportunist was quickest to react when Laurence O’Brien’s effort struck the outside of the post.

Scooping up the ball quickly, Shields forcefully drove the ball into the net to leave it 2-6 to 0-11.

Causing havoc

Points from O’Brien, Sheridan and Shields extended Glyde’s lead but the killer blow came on 50 minutes when Sheridan rattled the net. A dangerously inviting ball from O’Brien, put right between Cillian Quigley and full-back Brian Gernon caused havoc in the Kilkerley defence. Keeping a hawk-eye on it, Sheridan got to it first, smashing the back of the goal to give Glyde a 3-9 to 0-11 lead.

It was Glyde’s last score but Kilkerley kept chipping away at the scoreboard, hoping that they would not run out of time.

Last chance saloon

As chances came and went, the desperation grew, though Lennon and Cathal Bellew took them to 0-14 points. Bellew raced in and fired towards the roof of the net, but his hopeful shot sailed over the bar when they needed a goal.

He did grab one moments later, but it was too late as time ran out for Kilkerley and Glyde pulled off the upset, collecting the points.

Scorers – GLYDE RANGERS: Trevor O’Brien (1-5, 2f), Barry Brennan (1-2), Peter Shields (1-1), Fiachra Sheridan, Gerard Sheridan (0-1) each.

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Shane Lennon (0-8, 4f), Cathal Bellew (1-2), Shaun McElroy, Niall Lennon, James Fagan (0-1) each.

GLYDE RANGERS: Anthony Nulty; Brendan Lynch, Paul Noone, Shane Sharkey; Laurence O’Brien, Liam Reid, Glen Finlay; James Whelan, Cian Sheridan; Clint Sweeney, Trevor O’Brien, Barry Brennan; Peter Shields, Gerard Sheridan, Fiachra Sheridan.

Subs: David Devanney for L Reid (38mins).

KILKERLEY EMMETS: Cillian Quigley; Ronan Lennon, Brian Gernon, James Connolly; Emmet Hughes, Alan McGeough, Ciaran Bellew; James Fegan, Cathal Bellew; Sean Doherty, Andrew McGuill, Sean McElroy; Ciaran Clarke, Shane Lennon, Niall Lennon. Subs: Donal McElroy for A McGuill (45mins), Ultan McElroy for E Hughes (56mins), Sean Hand for C Clarke (58mins).

Wides - GLYDE RANGERS: 7 (5 first half), KILKERLEY EMMETS: 5 (2 first half).

Bookings - GLYDE: Paul Noone (18mins). REFEREE: Kevin Levins.