Castlebellingham gears up for Leinster Final

Stuart Reynolds and Mark Stanfield  celebrate a famous Leinster AIB Club championship  semi final win over Na Fianna

Stuart Reynolds and Mark Stanfield celebrate a famous Leinster AIB Club championship semi final win over Na Fianna

Castlbellingham is preparing itself for a momentous few weeks following O’Connell’s victory over Na Fianna in the Leinster Intermediate Club Championship semi final on Sunday.

The Leinster final is scheduled to be played in Castlebellingham on Sunday December 2 and according to O’Connell’s full forward Robert Quigley the village is already deep in preparation for the Minor side’s county final this Sunday.

“We’ve the minor final with the Combination side next week as well so it’s great for everyone in the village. There’s a great buzz around the place and hopefully we can win it for them.

“The hold up with the minor final took a bit of the buzz out of it. But hopefully this time next week we’ll be celebrating as well.”

The Mid-Louth minor Combination side are set to face Drogheda side Oliver Plunketts in the minor final on Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds in Drogheda.

Speaking to the Dundalk Democrat about the Leinster final Quigley gave a level headed assessment of how his side will prepare for the big day.

“We’ll just go back to training and keep working. Anything can happen in a final.”

The victory on Sunday was hard fought and memories of previous failures crept in near the end.

“I was worrying for the last few minutes”, explained Quigley. “Because it just reminded me of last year in the intermediate semi final against the Clans when we lost. I think a few of the lads thought we might drop the heads. But thankfully we didn’t.”

O’Connell’s got off to a tremendous start and it looked like the game was wrapped up in the first ten minutes, but the Meath Men took the game to O’Connell’s thereafter and pushed them all the way.

“We had a great start, I think we got 2-3, but then we let them back into the game”, stated the O’Connell’s forward.

“But every team is going to get a ten minutes spell at some stage. We tried to slow things down, but unfortunately they got the two goals. We just battled on from there and luckily we got the result.”


The Mid-Louth men had to battle back into the match with just fourteen men following the dismissal of full back Andrew Shields midway through the second half.

They also had to contend with the further loss of match winner Mark Stanfield to another red card as the game came to its enthralling conclusion.


Back to the top of the page