Man (63) charged
with sex offences

A 63 year old man accused of sex offences appeared in custody before Dundalk district court last week on foot of a bench warrant. The defendant - who can’t be named for legal reasons, is charged with five indecent assault offences and 23 counts of sexual assault on dates between October 1989 and July 1996.

A 63 year old man accused of sex offences appeared in custody before Dundalk district court last week on foot of a bench warrant. The defendant - who can’t be named for legal reasons, is charged with five indecent assault offences and 23 counts of sexual assault on dates between October 1989 and July 1996.

Judge William Hamill issued the arrest warrant a week earlier after he was told the defendant had failed to appear. Last Wednesday Garda Inspector Martin Beggy told the court that he understood the accused “is not a well man from a medical point of view” and he said Gardai do not consider him a flight risk.

Judge Hamill returned the 63 year old for trial at the next sitting of Dundalk Circuit Court on the 23rd of April on the same bail and conditions as previously fixed.