DCSIMG

The first bi-cochlear implant operations set to start this summer

Louth parents of the Happy New Year campaign for bilateral cochlear implants attended an information day at Beaumont Hospital last week.

The meeting, described as being very positive, provided information on the programme and how the service will be implemented.

The first surgery for bilateral cochlear implants will start on 21 Monday July.

The backlog of sequential implants will start on Wednesday 23 July.

Deanna Cairns, mother of little Billy who needs cochlear implants, says that the meeting was informative.

“It was a great meeting,” Deanna told The Dundalk Democrat. “It was very productive and informative.

“Two specialists from the UK spoke about the implementation of the programme and the benefits.”

Deanna is a member of the Happy New Year campaign that fought for this programme for over a year.

Little Billy is on the waiting list for the procedure. It could be next year when he has his operation.

“We have to be patient. Billy has come a long way since he got his first implant.

“He now has over thirty words and is becoming more confident.

“The addition of the bilateral implant will help him further.”

At the end of last year, the HSE allocated €3.22m to start the bilateral cochlear implant programme in 2014

“We have been helped along the way by so many people: TDs, journalists, parents and well wishers and we would like to thank them all for their support throughout the campaign.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page