DCSIMG

Minister to get documents on Ludlow case

Fine Gael deputy Peter Fitzpatrick will meet Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald at the Dail on Wednesday to follow up on last week’s meeting in Dundalk with relatives of the late Seamus Ludlow. He will pass on documents which the minister has aought.

“I was very proud to be the local TD when the Ludlow family met the minister in Dundalk last week,” Deputy Fitzpatrick said,

“It was a very constructive meeting carried out with dignity and mutual respect.

“The minister asked a lot of questions and listene d carefully what information she needs and this has been given to me by the solicitor and I will forward it to her this week in the Dail. This will be followed up.”

Earlier this year, the solicitor representing relatives of the late Seamus Ludlow who was murdered in May 1976, met representatives of the Department of An Taoiseach, and pointed out that the recommendation by an Oireachtas sub-committee that a commission of inquiry be established to examine the case, had not been acted upon.

Mr James MacGuill said that the family took the view that if the Taoiseach is prepared to support the Belfast Ballymurphy families in relation to their request for an inquiry into what happened there, then events in north Louth should equally be amenable to investigation.

He also pointed out the possibility of expanding the power of GSOC to allow them to look at historical failings in the way that the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland was now examining.

In 1976, Seamus Ludlow, a 47-year-old forestry worker, was shot three times in the chest and his body dumped off the Bog Road in Mountpleasant, Dundalk.

A second inquest ruled the death was unlawful killing. The family said they were pleased that information they had obtained on Seamus’ murder was at last being made public by the state

. This included the statement by retired Det Supt John Courtney which said that he had been made aware of four suspects in 1979 but was not given permission from Garda headquarters to pursue the investigation further. These suspects were questioned in 1998 and two gave similar accounts of their involvement. After the Good Friday Agreement, a Victims Commission recommended an inquiry, the Barron Report, which concluded Seamus Ludlow “was murdered by loyalist extremists, seemingly at random”.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page