DCSIMG

Man charged with Omagh Bombing facing driving without insurance charge

editorial image

editorial image

The man charged in April with murdering 29 people in the Omagh bombing, had a ‘driving without insurance’ prosecution adjourned at Dundalk District Court last week in his absence.

The Defence barrister for Seamus Daly (43)of Kilmurray, Culloville, Castleblayney told the court his client wanted the matter dealt with and was pleading guilty to the road traffic offences before the court.

In addition to the no insurance prosecution, he was also summonsed for driving while disqualified and driving without a driving licence on the Armagh Road, Dundalk on the 27th of June last year.

The Defence barrister told Judge William Hamill last Wednesday that there was a guilty plea in relation to all three matters and explained that the accused was not present in court as he is “in custody in the Six Counties”.

Insp. Martin Beggy said the prosecuting Garda was injured in a ramming incident the previous Saturday and as a result was unable to give evidence to the court.

However, the Barrister stressed that his client “wishes to dispose of these matters today”.

After he was told Mr. Daly remanded in custody awaiting trial, Judge Hamill pointed out that a defendant who is at risk of a custodial sentence should be in court.

Insp. Beggy said in view of the consequences he would apply for an adjournment and the case was put back to the 26th of November.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page