DCSIMG

Man banned from driving for 7 years

A 36 year-old father of four who was summonsed for driving while disqualified on a number of occasions, was banned from driving for seven years and fined €750 in one of the instances.

Raymond Agnew with addresses at Bachelor’s Walk and Glenwood in town and with a new address at Killanny, Carickmacross had the remainder of the charges adjourned for a community service report. Judge Hamill recommended he carry out 115 hours community service instead of six months in jail on Thursday last.

Dundalk Court heard on Wednesday that on two occasions Agnew crossed the border to get away from Gardai. He failed to stop for Gardai on May 22 last year while driving a recovery truck with three crushed vehicles stacked on top of each other at Dromad. He was disqualified at the time.

Early the previous August he failed to stop driving a car at the inner relief road and again drove across the border.

He was stopped at Bachelor’s Walk on December 2nd the same year and asked for insurance and a driving licence when he was disqualified.

Inspector Martin Beggy said the defendant was currently disqualified, and had 36 previous convictions, mostly for road traffic offences

Solicitor Frank McDonnell said that cars were the defendant’s thing and his work. Once he was prosecuted for insurance it was virtually impossible to get insurance. He learned a hard lesson. These offences pre-dated his last appearance in court.

The judge put the case back after hearing the evidence and directed the defendant be held in custody to ascertain the position regarding warrants against the defendant. Later he released the defendant on bail to the next day to clarify matters including a bench warrant from Kells.

The warrant was executed on Thursday and Agnew was remanded on his own bond to Kells District Court on December 13 on condition that he signs on three days a week at Carrickmacross Garda station.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page