A fire that broke out at the Carroll Village apartment has been confirmed as not suspicious

`A man is continuing to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after he was rescued from a fire at the Carroll Village Apartment block in Dundalk last Monday

`A man is continuing to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after he was rescued from a fire at the Carroll Village Apartment block in Dundalk last Monday

A spokesperson for the fire services told the Democrat that the fire was reported at 10.45pm and that three fire engines descended on the apartment block to deal with the fire.

The Democrat was informed that the man had to be rescued after succumbing to smoke inhalation within the apartment.

The fire crew then accessed the apartment through the balcony, where they retrieved the man before putting out the blaze.

The man was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda for treatment, where he was still receiving treatment on Friday.

The spokesman for Dundalk Fire Brigade said one apartment was badly damaged in the fire and that a number of adjacent units had sustained smoke and heat damage.

He said the complex was ventilated and the majority of residents returned to their homes by 1.45am. A number of those living in apartments damaged by the fire were housed elsewhere for the night, he added.

A Garda spokeswoman said the circumstances that led to the fire were being investigated, though a source has told the Democrat that the fire started in the kitchen and was not of a suspicious nature.

The paper attempted to contact the company who manage the Carroll Village apartment block, but were unable to make contact with company.

The apartment block was completed in late 1998, and made up part of what was then a e25million residential and retail development.