Dangers of radon

Minister Fergus O’Dowd has urged householders in Louth to familiarise themselves with the dangers of radon gas.

Minister Fergus O’Dowd has urged householders in Louth to familiarise themselves with the dangers of radon gas.

“Radon is a radioactive gas which is naturally produced in the ground from uranium present in small quantities in all rocks and soils,” said Minister O’Dowd.

“Radon is not a problem outdoors, but it can sometimes build up to harmful levels in homes.

“You cannot see, smell or taste radon and it can only be measured with special detectors.

“Radon produces tiny radioactive particles which, when inhaled, increase the risk of developing lung cancer.

“Data issued by the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII) shows that one in eight of all homes in Louth are estimated to be above the reference level of 200 Bq/m3 (the level at which it is recommended that action is taken to reduce radon).

“I would urge all householders to log onto the RPII’s website www.rpii.ie and follow the links to find out more about the dangers of radon, high risk areas in Louth and how to apply to have your home tested.”