There was widespread shock and sadness in the Tallanstown area at the death of Mrs Elizabeth (Lily) Kelly who sadly lost her life at her home at Springhill, three quarters of a mile from Tallanstown on Saturday afternoon last.
Mrs Kelly, who was in her early seventies, is believed to have died after being overcome by smoke inhalation at her home.
The fire service was called to the scene and arrived at about 3pm on Saturday afternoon.
The emergency services had been informed that somebody was believed to be in the house at the time.
However, it is believed that family members may have managed to enter the house and come to the assistance of Mrs Kelly.
Two fire service personnel entered with breathing apparatus while others applied cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) until the ambulance and paramedic staff arrived.
Every effort was made to revive Mrs Kelly, but unfortunately it was not possible to do so.
The fire service remained at the scene for over an hour-and-a-half.
Mrs Kelly, formerly Lily Faul, was originally from Mulacrew near Louth Village.
She is survived by her son Micéal and daughter Eunice, son-in-law Geoff, daughter-in-law Martina, grandchildren Odhrán, Oisín, Niamh, Ava and Erin. People in the locality expressed their shock and sadness at the news.