Gas alarm in
Collon home
saves family

A COLLON family had a lucky escape during the Christmas holidays when a carbon monoxide detector alerted them to high levels of the gas in their home.

A COLLON family had a lucky escape during the Christmas holidays when a carbon monoxide detector alerted them to high levels of the gas in their home.

The two adults and three children had had to leave their home and receive precautionary hospital treatment.

A carbon monoxide detector had been fitted in the house by Louth County Council last year as part of a programme to retrofit the devices to local authority owned properties.

Mr Joe McGuinness, Director of Services, Louth Local Authorities said the family were obviously very fortunate that they had a working carbon monoxide detector in use.

“The consequences could have been drastic if they’d not been alerted to the build up of this gas which is odourless and has no taste or colour,” Mr McGuinness said.

“This is known as the ‘silent killer’. It is for this reason that we as a local authority have been prioritising the installation of these potentially lifesaving devices.

“A carbon monoxide detector really is an essential piece of equipment for any home,” he said.

Chief Fire Officer Eamon Woulfe said that carbon monoxide is inhaled into the body it combines with the blood, preventing the blood from absorbing oxygen.

“If a person is exposed to carbon monoxide over a period, it can cause illness and even death,” he said.