Home blaze family
grateful to community

Home blaze family
grateful to community
A Dundalk family whose house went on fire due to a suspected electrical fault just three weeks before Christmas have thanked the people of Dundalk for their generosity and goodwill.

A Dundalk family whose house went on fire due to a suspected electrical fault just three weeks before Christmas have thanked the people of Dundalk for their generosity and goodwill.

Damien and Simone Lee have been living in the Glen Gat B&B with their three kids Evan (8), Aaron (5) and Cara (4) since their house in Lios Dubh went on fire over a week ago.

The Lee family returned home from Mass to discover the fire service tackling the blaze. The upstairs area of the house is completely destroyed and the rest is smoke damaged.

The family’s Christmas presents, clothes and belongings were all destroyed in the fire.

“All we have is the clothes on our back,” Damien told The Democrat.

“With less than three weeks to go to Christmas, we don’t know where we will be spending it.

“Our whole family is numbed by what has happened. Our three kids are very upset,” he continued.

“We cannot believe our house is now gutted and so close to Christmas”

Family friends John Menary and Elaine Donnelly made a Facebook appeal asking people to donate anything that would help make Christmas easier for the family.

Dundalk people have dropped off vouchers for toy stores, clothes and furniture.

“We are extremely grateful for the support from the people of Dundalk,” Damien told the paper.

“We are very thankful for all the donations. People that we don’t even know have donated. Dundalk people have a lot of goodwill.”

Last week, the O’Hanlon Park Boxing Club offered a drop off point for the family in their new facility at the old Toy Master outlet in Carroll Village.

The Cluid Housing Association told the family that the work would take three weeks, but no work has started as of yet. See page 6