At this time of year, ESB Networks would like to remind customers to always be aware of the potential dangers that electricity can pose. We all use electricity everyday but it has many potential hazards which we all must learn to be careful of.
Electricity cannot be seen, smelt or heard and is perfectly safe when used in an appropriate manner, but it can have devastating consequences if it is interfered with. Here are some safety tips from ESB Networks which are particularly relevant when using Christmas lights.
Some Safety Tips for Christmas Lights:
1. Only use lights that have been tested and are in conformance with safety standards. This should be noted on the packaging when you buy them.
2. Visually check the lights each year before installing them. Check for frayed wires, loose connections, damaged or cracked plugs or transformers etc. Never use damaged or home repaired lights.
3. Always replace burnt-out bulbs promptly with the same wattage bulbs.
4. Only use lights that have fuses. Ruptured fuses should only be replaced with fuses of the same size and rating. Never use make shift or higher rated fuses.
5. Always turn off and unplug the lights before working on them or moving them.
6. Use low voltage lights with an integral transformer that plugs into the mains supply.
7. Only use “outdoor” lights in outdoor locations. Check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use.
8. Stay well away from overhead electricity lines and other supply cables while installing lights.
9. Keep decorations and combustible materials well away from transformers and light bulbs to reduce the risk of fire.
10. Do not let lights come in close contact with sources of heat such as heaters, fireplaces, candles etc.
11. Switch out all lights before going to bed or leaving the house to protect against the risk of fire.
12. Ensure that outdoor lights are securely fastened to prevent them from being damaged by the wind or being blown onto overhead electricity supply lines. Never use nails, tacks or staples to secure lights. Use insulated clips or hooks.
13. Do not overload sockets or extension cords. Always unwind extension cords completely to avoid overheating.
ESB Networks reminds the public to always be alert to the potential dangers of electricity:
Always look up and watch out for overhead lines and electricity pylons and poles, never climb trees or walls that are near overhead wires, do not work near overhead lines, never fly kites or toy planes near overhead lines, stormy and windy weather may result in overhead lines falling to the ground, so always remember do not touch or go near fallen lines.
In the event of a dangerous situation, please contact the ESB Networks 24-HOUR EMERGENCY NUMBER – 1850 372 999
Have a safe and Happy Christmas.