Chimney causes traffic chaos

A LOCAL resident has claimed Dundalk Town Council (DTC) ignored his warning last Summer about a dangerous chimney that subsequently collapsed in Roden Place last Friday.

A LOCAL resident has claimed Dundalk Town Council (DTC) ignored his warning last Summer about a dangerous chimney that subsequently collapsed in Roden Place last Friday.

The man from Blackrock, who does not wish to be named, told The Dundalk Democrat that he noticed the redbrick chimney stack was in serious disrepair while driving past on a double decker bus.

“There was a big thick weed growing out of it so the following week, I reported it to the council but I was told it was nothing to do with them as it was a privately-owned building,” he said.

“The council said it was up to the owners to fix it. Now I see they have put up a notice giving the owners three days to fix it. Why didn’t they do that last year when I told them about it?”

The man added: “They could have put some scaffolding up around the building for a few days, instead of corodoning off a big section of the street like they have done now.

The chimney collapsed at Roden Place on Friday morning last shortly before 9.30am following a night of strong winds and stormy weather conditions. No-one was injured, but residents had to be evacuated from the row of Georgian terraced houses.

According to John Lawrence of DTC, he has already spoken to the gentleman from Blackrock who claims he reported the dangerous chimney to the local authority last year.

“I would be happy to talk to him again if he is interested in speaking with me further. If he could give me some more detail on the matter, it would be of assistance,” said Mr Lawrence.

“If a member of the public gives us some information that a premises or place is dangerous, of course, we have to look into it. That man is welcome to come back in and speak to us.”

At the same time the drama was unfolding on Roden Place, a passer-by noticed that a door of a lift shaft was hanging on a hinge at the former Revenue Commissoners on Earl Street.

“It could have blown off so when we became aware of the danger we acted immediately,” said Mr Lawrence.