Dundalk Railway Heritage Society has launched a new website and walking tours of Dundalk railway heritage trail in conjunction with the Dundalk Tidy Towns group.
The society is a volunteer body which brings together former railway staff and enthusiasts to exchange views,ideas and memories and promote the railway heritage and history of Dundalk.
It is funded by the International Fund for Ireland under the Integrating Communities Programme.
The walking trail has been set up to raise awareness of Dundalk’s architectural features.
The railway brought about huge changes to Dundalk when it arrived in 1849.
At that time it was called Dundalk Junction as it joined up the Dublin-Belfast line and the Dundalk and Enniskillen line. It was not until June 1894 that it became known as Dundalk station.
In 1966 - the 50th anniversary of the 1916 Rising - Dundalk station was given the name Clarke station.
This was in commemoration of Tom Clarke who was one of the executed leaders in the Easter Rising.
The station was designed by John McNeil in 1845.
Dundalk Railway Heritage So ciety and Dundalk Tidy Towns have produced an excellent brochure on the Railway Heritage Trail which covers 7km.
The brochure also contains photogrpahs reproduced from the Tempest collection, W H Lawrence collection, Whitmash, Paddy Power and Kavanagh collections, the National Library of Ireland, Louth County Archives and Museum and the Old Dundalk Society.