The trial of an elderly man accused of offering two first-year students money to spend the night with him, is due to continue later today (Tuesday).
The 68 year old has pleaded not guilty to the sexual exploitation of the girls by inviting them to participate in a sexual act at a location in Dundalk on the ninth of September 2011.
The jurors heard last week how the second level students were sitting outside a premises on their lunch hour.
The first girl – who is now 14, said a “chubby man” with a distinctive facial feature approached, put a fiver on the table and went back to his car.
She said that he stared at them and then returned and asked them to spend the night in bed with him and she claimed that he said “we’d love that”.
Her friend gave evidence that the man was smiling as he approached them and that he threw money on the table and said something like “is there any chance of me and you two lovely ladies tonight?”.
A member of staff in the premises told how she’d seen a man slip money to the girls – and put his hand on one of their hands. Her colleague said she’d seen the man touch one of the girls on the lower back as he was talking to them and he gave them money. She said the man drove off in a navy or green car.
The girls’ principal told how they had returned to school in a distressed and upset state and their parents and the gardai were contacted. The jury also watched Garda CCTV footage.