Average age in County Louth is 35, with a drop in young adults aged 19-24 since 2006

The latest figures released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) has revealed that the average age in Louth is 35.2 (lower than the national average of 36.1)

The latest figures released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) has revealed that the average age in Louth is 35.2 (lower than the national average of 36.1)

The rural population of Co Louth was older than in urban areas by 0.3 years on average. The average age of females in the county exceeded that of males by 1.3 years.

Age dependency is a measure of the extent to which the young (aged 0-14) and older (aged 65 and over) populations are dependent on the population of working age people, defined as those aged 15 to 65 years.

The total age dependency for the State overall was 49.3% which means that the number of young and old people together were equal to 49.3% of the total number of working age people.

In Co Louth the ‘young dependency’ was 35.5% and the ‘old dependency’ was 16.7%, an overall total of 52.2%.

The report also profiles the population according to a number of age groups to give a picture of some of the different important sections of the population: pre-school children (aged 0 - four), primary school aged children (five - 12), secondary school age (13-18), young adults (18-24), adults (25-64) and elderly people (aged 65 years and over), and looks at some of the characteristics of each age group by area, accommodation, household composition and marital status.

While the total population of Co Louth increased by 10.5% over the period, compared with 8.2% for the State as a whole, there are interesting differences in the different age groups and in how the changes relate to the country as a whole.

In Co Louth the number of pre-school children aged from 0 to four increased by 17.9% during the period 2006-2011. The number of five to 12 year olds jumped by 17.1%, while the number of secondary school students aged 13 to 18 increased by 3.8%.

However, there was a drop of 6.6% in the number of young adults aged between 18 and 24. The number of elderly people in Co Louth aged 65 and over increased by 16.1%.

For more information about the CSO’s Census 2011 publication “Profile 2 Older and Younger – An Age Profile of Ireland” check out www.cso.ie/census. This is the second of ten profile reports examining the definitive results of Census 2011.